Senior Associate Counsel IV
L.A. Care Health Plan
The Senior Associate Counsel IV will support the Associate General Counsel in providing legal analysis and support to enable successful and compliant operations of L.A. Care’s managed care functions. This function will include providing strategic guidance by engaging in substantive analysis and communicating actionable advice to mitigate potential legal and business risks to help business units achieve their goals. The position will function at the Senior Director level within the organization with commensurate authority and liaison with internal senior management and external business and agency representatives.
- Participates as a senior attorney member of the Legal Department’s HCLS Unit supporting L.A. Care in a matrix management organizational structure by providing needed legal advice and counsel on the most complex and sensitive matters regarding various laws applicable to health care service plans, with an emphasis on California law.
- Provides substantive counseling on complex provider contracting and other legal matters.
- Manages outside counsel in connection with organization’s healthcare activities.
- Assists the Associate General Counsel in planning and implementing strategic initiatives for the HCLS Unit. Interfaces directly with L.A. Care leadership and acting on behalf of the Associate General Counsel as needed. Reports directly to the Associate General Counsel.
- Provide non-supervisory guidance to junior attorneys and approve work product of junior attorneys and administrative staff.
- Provides significant effort for HCLS’s support of the provider and payor efforts.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Juris Doctor (J.D.) from an accredited law school
- 8 to 10 years’ experience as a practicing licensed attorney.
- Experience and knowledge of health care law.
- Experience in an HMO or as counsel to a health system, hospital, government unit, or a health care law firm practice.
- Experience in supporting complex provider contracting activities including drafting and reviewing contracts, providing strategic advice regarding negotiations and operations on complex and sensitive matters.
- Has acted as senior counsel on legal projects and matters.
- Excellent interpersonal oral and written communication skills to facilitate open and clear dialogue with payors, regulators, providers, internal clients, contractors, vendors and L.A. Care leadership.
- Active Membership with the California State Bar
- Substantial experience in Medi-Cal or Medicaid and Knox-Keene Act, specifically with the Department of Managed Health Care (“DMHC”).
- Experience in Medicare, commercial lines of business and HIPAA.
- Supervisorial experience.
- Experience in and knowledge of public entity laws including the Brown Act, Political Reform Act and Public Records Act.
For more information and to apply, visit: https://jobs.lacare.org/job/Los-Angeles-Senior-Associate-Counsel-IV-%28DMHC-Regulatory-experience%29-CA-90017/523775400/